Steve Barton came up through the large international communications agencies, primarily Ogilvy, first in New York and then London. In 1999, he broke from traditional large agency business to more entrepreneurial business – - starting up agencies such as Jones Mason Barton Antenen, Leonardo, Keevill Barton Kershaw.
Steve started Barton Consulting in 2007 because he found that there were consultancy assignments that benefited from combining big corporate business skills with the entrepreneurial drive of a start up.
Initial assignments focused upon planning/managing communications, helping smaller agencies with growth challenges and developing the word of mouth marketing industry in the UK.
Since then, the Barton Consulting has grown to include ownership stakes and Director/NED roles in a number of companies (Maynard Malone, Know, WOMMA UK, CommunicateTV, Sketchanet) as well as larger consultancy assignments with OgilvyOne working on the Zurich Insurance business on a Worldwide basis.
Barton Consulting started very much as Steve Barton. It has grown to become a consultancy with an approach that reflects the values of the founder.
To ensure that these values stay at the heart of the business, Barton Consulting employs an ‘associate approach’ to delivery. This means working with top skilled individuals and companies to deliver upon assignments. The brief determines the skills that are required. Once the job is done, everyone returns to their own companies. We find that this is the best way to deliver that blend of large corporate skills and entrepreneurialism.
What we do
Drive a return from communications investment.
We do this via consultancy contracts for large advertising agencies where we step in and manage blue chip client relationships.
We do this via management consultancy and Non Exec Directorship’s for small communications agencies and digital companies.
And we do this in a specialist area (word of mouth marketing) for brands and agencies via strategic planning, workshops and campaign development.
- Lead agency relationship with blue chip client around the globe, focussing on websites, digital advertising/lead generation, and social media.
- Business Plans for start up companies that set out product, pricing, marketing plan, financials, structure, exit strategy investment opportunity, etc.
- Deliver a strategic ‘vision’ and implementation plan for relationship marketing used around the globe by Fortune 100 brand.
- Directorships for agencies where we attend Board meetings, provide guidance on management issues and support on ad hoc projects.
- Manage acquisitions/mergers of small agencies
- Corporate workshops on word of mouth marketing in the UK and outside of the UK
People that we work with
Barton Consulting employs an ‘associate approach’ to delivery. This means working with top skilled individuals and companies to deliver upon assignments. The brief determines the skills that are required. Once the job is done, everyone returns to their own companies. We find that this is the best way to deliver that blend of large corporate skills and entrepreneurialism. Here are some of the experts we work with regularly.
- Consultrix. Management consultancy focussed on accelerating business growth, building sustainable profits and maximising capital value as part of exit strategies for small to medium marketing & communications companies. www.consultrix.co.uk
- David Payne. Direct marketing expert with specialised skills in mergers, acquisitions and raising capital. Valuable partner in terms of managing the business of agencies.
- BWB Consultants. Experienced client management consultants. Worked together on campaign planning and delivery as well as specialist word of mouth marketing programmes.
- Peter Rankin Consulting. Sales and e-commerce expert. Currently, Sales Director EMEA and UK Manager for Bazaarvoice. Provides advice on selling strategies, commission structures, e-commerce delivery, etc.
If you have skills that complement those within Barton Consulting, please email us HERE
We own a stake in a number of companies. We have taken this stake because we believe in the business and we are ambitious about their future. We also work with these companies on a regular basis. We would not recommend any company if we did not believe they could add value. We that it is important to disclose any direct involvement with a company that we work with. Please see below.
Know is a digital agency who believe that creating a simple and effective solution to one of life’s little problems is far more powerful than something that promises everything yet delivers nothing.
Online website company. Pay small monthly fee and get a access to easy-to-use website framework. Shareholder and Director.
Digital agency. Specialise in managing customer interactions with brands across the internet. Shareholder and Director.
Video content producer for websites. ‘BBC news’ approach to video production – - fast, professional, quality productions. Shareholder and Director.
Word of mouth marketing company. Founded company. Act as ‘white label’ practitioner for agencies as well as working directly with brands. Owner.
The word of mouth association for the UK. One of the founders of association. Elected inaugural president in 2007. Currently, elected Treasurer on the WOMMA UK Council. Shareholder and Director.
Steve Barton public speaking. Speak at conferences around the world on such topics as word of mouth marketing, online marketing and direct marketing. Workshops and corporate events for the likes of Royal Mail, IBM, Orient Express Hotels, and Celerant Consulting. Owner.